Sunday 26 June 2011

Things to Work On. Part One: Career

I went to art school.  It was the best four years of my life, but when I graduated I didn't really know how to make a living as an artist.  I didn't think of myself as a small business.  I didn't realize how important networking was.  My mantra was 'If I draw it, they will come..."

For five years I taught art classes, did the occasional arty gig, and worked on my own stuff.  Then there was a sort of a meltdown....I was still living at home, not paying rent, but I had no assets and very little savings.  I have never had a full time job that lasted longer than a summer, and my twenties were coming to an end.

Last year, I went back to school, which I hate, but I think I've found a new career path that will use my art background and is meaningful to me.  I'm working hard this summer to make connections and I'm actually turning down work I'm so busy.   I'm feeling pretty good about my future; I only wish I hadn't wasted so much time.  Just gotta buckle down and get through this last year of school.  Hopefully soon I'll have enough of an income to MOVE OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment