Thursday 18 May 2017

So certain, except for all these doubts

Not much to report.  Still happy with Silver Fox, almost nine months now.
We're sort of poking around the edges of a talk about the future.  Probably too early, but it seems almost certain that this is a long-term thing.  Like, he's the One?  But why did I pick someone who has no high school diploma, can't drive, and can't cook?

There was a late night talk about having a family.  That same day I found out a friend (who is 39) is pregnant with her first.  So I guess it was on my mind, because that night we were talking about world problems, including overpopulation . (I think we're overpopulated, he doesn't).  And I blurted out "I think I might want a child".  I had to repeat it because he didn't understand what I had said.  And he said he might want one too.  And it was very nice and truly terrifying. Oh yeah, and I confessed I'd been thinking about this since our talk at Christmas and he said 'you sat on this all that time!'

Ever since I confirmed my suspicions that we both did want a family, I've been a little crazy, wanting to plan, wanting to know his plans... I've told several girlfriends about our talk, yet I haven't told him all my worries, which isn't fair but he's working on school right now and I don't want him to feel bad about where he is.  (He was able to skip to university without his high school diploma)

But I'm 35 and there's a time limit on this project.  We are not going to be established enough even in three years unless we beg the grandparents to help out.  I will probably need fertility treatment.

I think for both of us, parenthood wasn't really a possibility before, not having suitable partners.  So I hope I'm not just having one last fling at this dream of motherhood.  Previously I was quite at peace with being childless.  But now I'm really thinking what needs to happen, and have set it as a possible goal, and he's still got it as a nice dream for someday....

But I tell myself, Eleanor, it's still not even a year together.  Just enjoy getting to know each other and leave the big plans for just a little longer.  Enjoy the sweetness of the infatuation stage.

I sometimes can't believe this is happening to me.  We are so gaga over each other, we just lie around noses touching and gaze lovingly at the other's face.  We have a lot of sex.  He's super eager and I can certainly keep up.  He's getting much better at it.  (If you haven't been following: he dated one other woman for less than a year before he met me.)  His anxiety still is a factor but I don't seem to mind.  I feel like I have infinite patience with his anxiety in bed, but almost none when it affects his school work.

I think it's delightful to have found someone even less experienced than me.  Although sometimes I think about that joke about virgins getting too attached-- maybe he would have liked anybody who came along and was willing to sleep with him.  Ha! I actually think we're good for each other, and having someone who understands the late-to-date baggage is just a bonus.

So I love him to bits but I worry so much about how long he's taking to get his shit figured out.  And that's why Nerdboy dumped me, so I certainly feel the irony there.  I have faith my smart and hardworking boy will do fine, EVENTUALLY.  He's not going to get there quickly.  I asked Silver Fox if he had any goals, and he said no, which was completely alien to me.  I think of him as very reasonable and responsible, but his anxiety makes him completely the opposite of that.  If anybody knows any resources for helping a loved one with anxiety, I would be so grateful.

Other small updates:  Lots of freelance work, I'm so tired, but it looks like one more month and then it dries up.  I'll be happy to take some me-time but will need to find more work by midsummer. Car died and I sold it for parts.  Nerdboy and I are trying to be friends, and he seems happier with the arrangement.  Me too, I think, but occasionally it's weird.  Still living with Mom, and her car is also dead, and she's having trouble buying a new one.  (she doesn't do well with large purchases)  Between mom and Silver Fox, I want to kick some butts!  I used to procrastinate and avoid things, now I'm getting stuff done.


3 comments:

  1. 'But why did I pick someone who has no high school diploma, can't drive, and can't cook?'

    Happens. I'm a late starter in my first relationship (33 when it started, now 37), and he's illiterate, lives 4,000 miles from me in a country I can only visit on a tourist visa, has four children and is separated from his wife in a culture that doesn't tolerate divorce. I mean, it was hardly my wishlist. But it happened. Best of luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete