Monday 6 February 2012

Just Keep Swimming

I'm sick in bed.
This has been a tiring month.

Walrus has moved to a new group home.  It is a thousand times better.  The other residents aren't vegetables, the staff aren't incompetent and there is a strong program in place to help him regain his independence.  He'll have to take part in household chores and cook a meal at least once a week.  Eventually he'll be in charge of his own medications and schedule.  When he graduates from the program they set him up in an apartment building where they have staff on site.
I've been feeling like a social director since every night after work I've been trying to come up with stuff for the two of us to do together.  He missed seeing me during the day when I started this internship, and he hated being in the old group home.  Hopefully he won't mind just hanging out in this new place when I'm busy.
The new place has a no drinking policy.  If he comes home under the influence, he could be sent to detox and lose his place in the group home.  I am so terrified.  We have yet to talk about it because he only moved last week and he's exhausted from all the excitement and changes.  
He's been good lately.  There was an incident two weeks ago where two friends, silly girls from the sounds of it, took him out drinking and sent him home drunk on the bus.  It was only 10:30pm, but the bus changed its route and he got confused and I had to come get him.  I was so mad.  Stupid girls!  I am seriously contemplating writing to his friends through facebook and tell them he can't go drinking anymore.  That would be meddling, and I don't want to do it, but he needs the support of his friends or he needs new friends.  
His mother writes to me long emails about his progress.  I was over at his folks' for a family dinner and Walrus snuck out to have a smoke (grrrr!) and his mom talked to me about his drinking.  So that was awkward, but a bit of a relief.  I wasn't sure how much she knew.
His parents fuss about him, but they're not actually around that much.  When they do decide to be involved, they come on strong and tire him out.  His mother came the day after the move and tried to rearrange his furniture and organize his stuff- for six hours!  He should do that himself- it's good for him and it's his stuff, his room, his life.  She didn't even let him take his afternoon nap.  
And then on top of that, his old girlfriend, the one he was engaged to until she broke up with him while he was in the hospital, emailed him and his parents that she was tired of paying to keep his stuff in a storage locker.  She's the one who put his stuff in storage and has the key.  Then she posted on facebook that she needed to move on with her life and suggested his new girlfriend could pay to store his stuff.  Cow!  She still has the engagement ring.  Sounds like a really classy type.
Oh, and it turns out she's not a doctor.  She just likes to put "Dr." as her title on her caller ID.
Hmmm.  What else?
My best friend is moving to the great frozen north to be with a fat man she met on a train in Europe.

I am not making any of this stuff up.

Still no progress on the make-sex-stop-hurting front.  Very frustrated.  
So much stuff going on.  Neglecting stuff I need to do to take care of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment