Saturday 18 February 2012

Miscellaneous Little Things

#1
Valentine's Day was a non-event.  The first time I actually had a sweetheart on Valentine's and I didn't even get to see him.  He bought me a present early and since it was quite large, it had been kept at my house for weeks.
I made him cookies the night before.  I hate cut flowers- don't get me started on the environmental impact of fresh flowers- but just once in my life I want to receive a bouquet of peach roses.  I was hoping he'd get me chocolate or take me out to dinner or something but he said the holiday was over-commercialized and makes people feel bad.  And I agree completely, but still.....
Anyways, I was going to cook him dinner after work but this week at work we had a major five-day special event, and  I was pooped when I got off work.  Then I got home and my baby nephew was there.  His parents were sick with some gruesome stomach bug and they called my mother to take the baby away since they couldn't even get out of bed.  Then that night my mom got sick as well.  So, no Valentine's for me.

I opened the present the next day.  It was a vintage movie poster from the 30's.

#2
When I talk about work, I really mean my unpaid internship.  I'd been there about a month and I was sent to one of the studio rooms I'd never spent much time in.  I sat down to work and looked up and saw a poster for an art opening, and on the poster was the face of my former best friend.  She had been hired to mentor teens for a special art project.  After an initial panic, I discovered it was from last year.  At first I thought we'd have to work in the same building.

Everytime I'm in that studio I have to resist the urge to draw a big mustache on her stupid face.

Today was the last day of this big special event and as I was cleaning up at the end I saw her through a window of another room.  She must have been hired to teach an art workshop, which is what I was doing in another part of the building.  I don't think she saw me.  I went absolutely shaky.  I kept cleaning up and seeing her from afar but she never seemed to notice me.
If I hadn't taken a late lunch I would have met her in the break room, which would have been awkward.

Part of me wishes there had been a confrontation.  Stupid cow.

I'm starting a new career, and almost a new life, largely because of her, and I want this place I'm doing my internship to be mine, to be a place for me to grow.  Then I find out she got there first and has a relationship with the place- a year before I was there.  What are the chances?

No comments:

Post a Comment