Friday 24 February 2012

Put your feet in the stirrups

Between Walrus' nagging and the advice of the painful sex book, I finally went to the doctor.  I've been putting it off.  Talking about my girly bits is one thing, telling the doctor I was a 30 year old virgin is another.
"What brings you here today?"
"Well, it's embarassing.  I have pain during intercourse"
"When did that start?  Is it new?"
"Well.  Ummmmm....intercourse is new."

Then she asked if it hurt at the beginning or all throughout and I started turning purple and mumbled something about muscles.  She said it was very common.  At least she was professional.  I was given a cup to pee into.
Then someone else came in with a form to sign and told me I was going to have a pelvic exam, which I thought was going to happen at a later date, that I was being referred to a gynecologist.  But then she gave me a gown 'for my lower half' and left the room.  I wasn't sure if I was supposed to undress and I sat there for a while.  Then I undressed and sat there with a piece of paper over my lap.  The doctor came back and put my feet in the stirrups and umm looked at things and put some kind of viewing device up there.  It hurt hurt HURT!  I had to keep breathing the whole time and apparently my muscles relaxed more and more and she could get the thingy in further but it didn't stop hurting.  

She said everything looked fine and that my 'torture session' was over.  
She asked if I had gotten married.  I said no.  Awkward silence.  She asked how long I'd been with my boyfriend and I said since the summer.  I died a little inside.  I think those questions were unnecessary.

After I got dressed she came back for a little chat and talked to me about foreplay and fingers and penetration and it was all embarrassing.  Then she told me to practice and have fun.

So that was miserable.

I was an adult virgin.  He had a stroke.  We have enough shit to deal with.  Why are my girly bits causing so much trouble?  

Side note:  I still think of myself as a virgin since sex has been such a dismal failure so far.
Really really didn't want to have to tell my doctor but I didn't see any way around it.  




1 comment:

  1. I've managed to shock and surprise one or two doctors during those exams. I almost did a post in my blog on this very topic. It's amazing how many doctors are so insensitive about someone being a virgin over 18. It's like they all assume that everyone has had sex by a certain age. I had one even ask me if I was a lesbian and why I've never had sex. I just said it never happened for me and was horrified when she brought that up. They say the key is to relax for that exam - the viewing device is called a speculum by the way - which is easier said than done! The last time I got that exam I just said to a new doc that I haven't had sex in years and that I'm not sexually active. It went fine and I got the meds I needed. She didn't blink an eye or say anything, which was great.

    ReplyDelete