Wednesday 24 August 2016

Silver Fox

So, my first date as a single woman.
We met today for coffee, around 3pm.  Afternoon dates are weird because there's no set end time. I had suggested 2 hours, I could have pretended to have an evening engagement but I didn't.

We met at a coffee shop, I was early.  Silver Fox (as I have nicknamed him) had bought some books at a used book store and we talked about those.  He is studying philosophy and very easily slips into 'lecture mode' and uses a lot of big words I don't get.  I am pretty happy to discuss big ideas, so I tried to hang in there but sometimes I had to stop him.

Conversation was awkward at first but I did get a quick sketch of his life.  People are so surprising. He dropped out of high school and went to alternative school.  He's also a former smoker.  He seems really straight-laced.

After two drinks in the cafe we went wandering and found a park to sit in.
When we looked at the clock, it was almost 7pm.

So we are going to see each other again.
He wrote to say he was feeling shy today and hoped he wasn't too awkward.

I don't know what I think.  It was a very intellectual discussion, above my head, and I could only get a few glimpses of him as a person.

We hugged, if you're wondering, and that's it.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a possibility, which is cool. I think that Date 1 is mainly to figure out whether you want Date 2, and it sounds like you do, so that's a good start. Hope it turns out to be something good!

    ReplyDelete