Monday 14 October 2013

Grumpiness ensues

Okay, stuff happened this weekend and something's making me grumpy and I'm not exactly sure what it is.

There was a late night talk about Nerdboy's traumatic relationship and the stuff he's had to work through because of it.  I didn't know what to say.  I only wanted to know what I should do to help him through it when he has a bad day. His past is so different from mine.

It was Canadian Thanksgiving, a long weekend.  Nerdboy made it through a dinner with my extended family. He gets a bit stressed out at meeting new people, at first we sat away from everyone else.  Then he warmed up and talked to people, mostly about food (he'd baked two pies and a lasagne).  We played a board game after dinner which doesn't bring out the best in him.  I like to stack my extra game pieces into towers, and Nerdboy kept knocking them over, which upset me way out of proportion.  It just seemed plain out mean, and in front of my family too.

I watched him do a half marathon and was so proud when he came up to the finish line.
Then he spent most of the rest of the day on his computer looking at imgur, which to me seems like the internet quoting itself, it's everything that's dumb about the internet.  Have I mentioned I really hate lolcats? Life is too short to spend time looking at captioned photos of cats.  (Never mind that I have pinned over 600 pictures of dresses on Pinterest....)

Meanwhile, I was trying to work on a presentation about waste reduction for my environment committee, and I really wanted Nerdboy to give me feedback as I practiced it.  I'm really passionate about this stuff, part of me hoped that he would get why it's important to me, and get a sense of how I want to live my life.  I know that's hoping for a lot.  If nothing else he could give quite sensible advice about the presentation itself and Powerpoint tips.
I was trying to tell him it was important and he was being silly and said he'd watch the slide show if I did it topless, which didn't go over well.  I didn't get mad, I just reiterated that it really meant a lot to me and what sort of things I wanted his advice on.  Oh, I wanted someone with the same passion for the environment as me and I didn't get that and is that going to be something that drives us apart?

Meanwhile, my sister-in-law was in labour all day.
Finally she had a baby girl and they named it something really trendy that I don't like.  A vowelly type of name, like "Isla" or "Ella".   My mom had spent the day babysitting their other two kids and our old dog had been alone all day, so she asked me to go to check on him, so I had to leave the boyfriend and the presentation and go out to the suburbs to feed the dog.  I'm at Mom's now.

I'm feeling like such a flake lately.  I intended to come walk my dog and help my Mom fix the house.  I've got unanswered emails in my inbox, and I should be putting more effort into finding a job.









1 comment:

  1. Yeah sometimes you just don't even need a reason to feel a bit on edge, I hope you feel better soon and that things workout okay!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete