Thursday 19 December 2013

so much to do

I haven't figured out what I feel about a life with Nerdboy.  We bought a dresser yesterday and even that revealed our different values and aesthetics.  (I don't like cheap IKEA furniture made of particleboard; I wanted to look for a solid wood 1940's dresser in the secondhand shops.  We bought a mostly-solid wood dresser with a scratch from the As Is section of the IKEA for a discount.  He did let me look for a used dresser but I wasn't getting results fast enough and my clothes are in bins all around his apartment.)

I had a long talk with my sister about feeling lonely in my environmental beliefs.  She married a man who resents recycling and will throw stuff out if it doesn't leave the house soon enough, even pop bottles which are worth a nickel!  And she's trained him a bit, but he does it for her, not because he really gets it.  And I've given her a hard time about it before, and then look who I end up with!  Nerdboy is really trying to recycle, he's too enthusiastic -he's recycling things that aren't recyclable and I have to re-sort it.

(And sorry folks, recycling isn't going to save the world.  It's a good habit but much bigger change is needed. It's just used here as an example of a behavior we view differently)

Back to the conversation with my sister- she still loves her husband (I'm not too impressed with him) and they make the relationship work.  Imagine how he'd live if he hadn't met her!

And then my sister and I talked about my father. He probably did cheat on my mother, more than once.
I'm not talking to him and I don't know what to do.

For the moment I am happy in my relationship with Nerdboy. I am excited to move in with him. I get silly-happy when we get groceries together or do laundry.  I think we'll be ok.

**this post was written over several days, hence the change in tone re: Nerdboy.

I'm looking at a studio space tomorrow. I really want it but not sure I can afford the added expense.  My sister said, go for it and push yourself to make it happen.  It looks like I'll have three small teaching gigs in the new year, a few hours a day, six days a week.  It's a dumb way to make money.  Really stressed about getting my income levels up, and hoping I can bring in money with freelance art work.


No comments:

Post a Comment