Tuesday 21 August 2012

What I (think) I want

Well I'm officially sick and on antibiotics.  I'm miserable and bored and frustrated that I can't work on any of my goals. Sigh!  I've analyzed things to death already- it's time to get moving!
Chatted with Walrus yesterday.  He said his neurological assessment came back- his verbal and reading skills were off the chart, top 99.99%, but planning and initiating things would likely always be a problem for him.  A permanent disability.  I just feel bad for him.  He's super smart but now he has to work around this dead spot in his brain.  Anyways, just helps me understand the situation a bit more.
In other news, my mom got a part-time job and I have an interview next week for a kids' afterschool activity program.  Not my ideal choice but gotta find something to do!

In the meantime, I have been working on my list of what I want for the Next Boyfriend.

This list is a good start.  I agree with most of it.  Not the parts about wine and plaid, though.
http://www.thefrisky.com/2008-11-08/your-next-boyfriend-the-100-qualities-he-should-possess/

I think ideally I'm looking for a mix of Gene Kelly and Noam Chomsky. ha!

My List of Deal Makers and Deal Breakers:

Physical
-just a few years older than me.  (I already feel immature!)
-as tall as me is the only thing physical I'm really keen on
-although I do like broad shoulders and a wide Gene Kelly forehead...
-not blue-eyed, preferably.  There's no good reason for this.
-at the moment I have a thing for Dan Mangan look-a-likes.  A boyish look, under a beard.

Career:
-I would like to feel your work made the world better.  Non profit, environment, education, health, for example
-I am highly suspicious of people in business, sales, insurance, finance.
-I would totally fall for a musician or writer, maybe not another visual artist.

Values:
-As much like mine as possible, I'm guessing.
-Someone who cares about the environment, enough to make changes in your daily habits.
-Feminist
-Tolerant of others' differences
-Idealistic, like me

Fun/Interests
-TV and video games don't qualify as interests.  Have a passion that challenges you.
-I don't want to feel like a social director again, don't want to make all the plans.
-I expect you to be a bit geeky but could you not play Dungeons and Dragons or paint those stupid plastic figurines?
-I want you to read my favourite books and I'll read yours (not sci-fi and comic books!).
-You need to understand my idea of fun is quiet/wholesome/learning oriented/ deep connections with fewer people
-Must like camping.  I want to get outside more.

Personality/Characteristics
-I think I like guys who are a bit sarcastic but truly softies on the inside.
-Not big sucks, but I do like affection.
-I want to be proud of your morals and your manners.
-I don't know if you'll be an introvert or an extrovert. I sorta wish you were more outgoing than me, to balance things out, but you won't always have to be with people all the freakin time.
-I hope you can get me to loosen up and not be so serious. An ability to be goofy.
-Yet somewhat organized and punctual
-I'm a dog person.  I always like guys who like cats.  Who knows?

How we are together:
I want to be pushed a little bit, and hopefully you want to be pushed too.  Not that either of us are hugely ambitious but we both have goals, maybe artistic or health or making change, and I want us to bring out the best in each other and support each other.  I hesitate and overthink things and I need someone to say, 'go be awesome'

You should be interested in who I am, in my opinions, in my life before you showed up, and I'll be fascinated by you.
In theory I like it when couples can tease each other and be sarcastic, but sometimes 'just kidding' hides real malice.

Emotions
I'm not going to rescue someone this time.  I need you to have your shit together, or seriously working on it.  You need to be emotionally available, and we should 'get' each other, how to deal with each other when we're upset.

Sex:
I need you to be understanding with the sex thing, and make it fun.  Not too kinky.  *blush*

Big Things:
Monogamous- I didn't realize there were so many 'open relationships' out there.
No smokers, no heavy drinkers.  That really hasn't worked out for me.
I want a house and garden, and think I would be happy in a smaller city/ bigger town but with access to the arts.  I love the city, in small doses.  Oh gawd I'm so suburban!
Not a total neat freak, but not a slob
Not materialistic or addicted to brand-names and new gadgets
Financially prudent
Art-loving in some way
A reader of books
A little quirky.
Smart as all get out.

**EDIT*** And excellent grammar.  And a healthy diet.  Not that I'm picky or anything.

1 comment:

  1. Cool list - I think it's great that you've got clear ideas on what you want. At the same time, hopefully you'll give guys a chance if they might be missing a few items - might depend on which items they are! I like the way you've separated off Big Things like that - sort of like Essentials and Desirables in a job advert. I look forward to hearing how the recruitment process goes! When you're ready, of course.

    ReplyDelete