Saturday 24 March 2012

And when do I get taken care of?

I'm feeling stressed and have no one to talk to...so I'll pour my heart out here.
Normally I call my best friend but she is not too impressed with Walrus at the moment.  If I tell her, she'll probably advise me to end it, and I'll feel like I'm weak for staying with him if I chose not to listen to her.  I already know her opinion, so I want to make sure I know my own.

The problems aren't all Walrus.

He's over at my house for the weekend.  I went to get him yesterday and he hadn't slept hardly at all the night before and had just woken up from a nap.  It took an hour to get him ready and then he basically went straight to bed when he got here.  My mom was out all day, so precious alone-time was not spent ...pleasurably.

This morning, Mom was out again early and I got up and had breakfast and puttered around and went back to join Walrus in my bed, hoping for some morning cuddles, etc.  His back hurt, so no luck there.  My dog, on the other side of the door, freaked out, howled and dramatically sighed for an hour.  You might think I'm cruel for not going to check on him, but this dog is a tyrant with his neediness.  Finally I got up and walked the dog, leaving Walrus in the house alone.  Just before I left I found that my dog had peed on the carpet, and I felt bad for not checking on him earlier.

Came back from the walk, cleaned up the pee, and went into the bathroom.  There was a puddle on the floor.  The toilet seat was up, so I think Walrus stumbled out his bed and with his bad back and his grogginess, missed his aim.
I asked him and he said the puddle was there when he went in, but I don't believe him.
So I cleaned that puddle too.

At that point I was super-cranky, alternating with feeling sorry for myself.

It just seems like there's so much for me to take care of.  Mom, dog, Walrus, house, siblings' children. When do I get to take care of me?  And when do I get taken care of?

My mom went to court to try and get money from my dad and it didn't go her way, and now she's exhausted.  She's not working at the moment, and she doesn't do anything around the house so I don't know what she does with her time.  She does babysit my sister's kid a lot.  I'm worried about Mom- what kind of work will she find to do?  Her doctor says her health is not good enough to work.  She was back in school to do a Master's, but taking her sweet time about it, and now my dad cut off the money he used to send (the divorce agreement was that he'd support her for life.  That lasted five years.)

I want her to sell the house and downsize.  But my dog is a barky moron and couldn't live in an apartment.  Whatever manners and training he had have been completely eroded by my mom spoiling him.

My goal is to get a job and move out.  I'd like to get back into the habit of drawing, exercising, seeing friends, living!  What if Walrus (and my family) are getting in the way of that?  I don't want to be sacrificed in the name of duty.

Just a few more weeks of internship...just a few more weeks of smiling when all the crummy jobs are dumped on me.  I'm so broke I'm worried about every penny- can't buy a snack let alone see a movie...and Walrus doesn't seem to get it.  He does, he's worried about money, but in the moment he happily spends and forgets the big picture.

What am I getting out of this?  It's like dating my dog- sure he loves me, but he can't do anything for himself, and he pees on the floor.

Can I have a nervous breakdown now?


No comments:

Post a Comment