Wednesday 16 January 2013

Change is Hard

I am throwing a party.  I hemmed and hawed but I'm doing it.  I'm going to teach my friends an art project and then while we work I'm going to try and lead a discussion about my career goals.  Then I'm making a vegetarian dinner for them.  ALL THE NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS AT ONCE.  (I'm also going to have to clean the house!)
They all know the career chat is part of the deal, and people have been really supportive so far.  I think about seven people are confirmed less than 24 hours after the invites went out.
I have a lot of work to do, not only planning the menu, cleaning and preparing the materials for the project, but researching career and education options.  I have been working on it, but I'd like to either make a 'career notebook' or maybe even a slideshow I can present to my guests.  And I should redesign my resume- it could be more visually appealing, considering I'm an artist!
Putting a deadline on me doing this research is probably more than half the battle.  Feedback will be a bonus if I can clarify my own thoughts on my goals in preparing to share them with my friends.

I've signed up to volunteer with an environmental organization.  I'm going to do office work a few hours a week, stuffing envelopes and filing.  I think I thought they'd put me in charge of a campaign or something.  No, gotta start small.  If you stick around long enough, you can find your niche.

I'm also trying to take this (free) leadership training I found at a community resource centre.  I hope I get in.  It would be two months of Saturday mornings though.

I also will attend two workshops this week (one on zero waste living and one a professional training thing)
I went to a protest.  There's a lot of protests happening all over Canada right now in support of the rights of aboriginal people and the environment.  I won't go into the politics.  It was a fairly big protest and it was exciting but I was uncomfortable the whole time.  Angry people in the streets only make change when they reach the tipping point and everyone joins in.  Otherwise they look like radicals, and a lot of people who just like to mind their own business will distance themselves from radicals.  It was radical when women wanted the vote, when abolitionists wanted to end slavery... What you believe has a lot to do with what's "normal" at the time.
Anyways, I'm off on a tangent.  The point is when it comes down to it, I wasn't willing to do as much for my beliefs as I thought I would.  Maybe because I think strategically, protesting doesn't change people's minds, but I think mostly I have a conventional streak that comes out at weird times!  I'm glad I went to the protest.

(Confession:  I spent some of my time at the protest looking around for cute treehugging young men.  Yup, they're out there.  How do I meet them?)

So I'm trying.  It's exhausting.  I really have to work on establishing a daily art practice.  Going back to school killed that habit and I need it back.
To top it all off, I'm sick again.  Sigh......
I read a horoscope that said the next five months would be more responsibility and hard work than I've ever faced before.  Let's do it then, and get it over with.






1 comment:

  1. Good for you for getting the art/career chat party planned in - I hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete