Friday 8 March 2013

to send or not to send

ok I got out of bed at 11:30pm, having composed a message in my head to Newfie that I just had to send to him.  I chickened out, and I'm going to write it here.  I'll read it again in the morning.  Feel free to stop me if you think sending it is a bad idea.

"Hi Newfie,
I'm going to be uncool and write twice in a row because I realized my last message sounds way more negative than I meant it to be.  I had a good time on Sunday- I was worried you didn't.  It did feel very platonic, which I was a bit bummed about, because that wasn't what I was going for, but that's how it goes sometimes.  I'm glad we got to meet after almost crossing paths a few times.  The book you picked for me was awesome and I found (another book you mentioned) at the library.  Since we're probably the equivalent of second cousins or something in the (Festival we both volunteered at) Family, and we like a lot of the same stuff, I'd say we're friends, yeah?  Can I still take you up on that offer to see (show in two months time)?
-Eleanor"

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... not sure about the email, not knowing exactly about where your relationship stands, but there is a couple of things that might have been tweaked a bit:

    Hi N.,
    How are you doing? I just looked at (something connected with the date), and thought back to our date on Sunday. Thank you so much for having come out with me - it was really a brilliant day, especially (name your favourite part of the date). I haven't had so much fun in ages, for some reason - and having been in your company has a lot to do with it! It is amazing that we got to meet after almost crossing paths a few times before. I still thank my fortune for (the Festival you volunteered at) and that it has let me to meet people as cool as you are. Please don't think me too forward, but let's make our meetings regular in the future!
    The book you picked for me was awesome (mention why), and I found (another book) at the library. (Here, mention some book, film or anything you'd like to recommend him).

    Take care, and talk to you soon!

    Eleanor

    PS Can I still take you up on that offer to see (the show)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing with the email is: a) don't hasten to apologise before he has said anything particular - he may not have thought that in the first place, and you are coming up with apologies. b) don't mention the platonic vibe as yet - it might give him a wrong signal - there'll be plenty more time to mention it. c) do mention that you liked his company - anyone likes to hear that!

    Send the email off, and let us see. If he's not interested, it's better to be rid of him now than to be kept guessing forever. If he is interested, it's great!

    Elf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with CelticMuse...if you really want to see Newfie again, you should be clear and enthusiastic about it. You'll either get no response or a clear rejection (either way, that will be a rejection) or he'll say yes to another date. Anything would be better than never trying, right? :)

    You don't need to mention the "platonic vibe" part. I went on a date once that had a "platonic vibe" to me, but a few days later, the guy asked me on a second date.

    ReplyDelete