Wednesday 24 July 2013

A date

So I met the guy with the lip piercing tonight.  I was so nervous all day.  Considering the last guy I went on a date with seemed so enthusiastic and then went cold.  And what if he's a weenie and I have to be the one doing the rejecting? 
It was more the latter, although I have agreed to see him again.  I really don't know what to make of him.  First impression:  a boring guy trying to be interesting.

Dresses mostly in black it seems.  He has two tattoos and plans for more.  A piercing through the lip, and those plug things in the earlobe, not the kind that stretch it so big you can put your finger through it, but about the size of a pencil.  Really don't like stretched out earlobes...considering I personally decided punching holes in one's flesh to put pieces of metal through it was bizarre, and didn't wear earrings for years.  (Then vanity got the best of me and I got them repierced.)  Anyways, I digress.

His voice was a little soft, wimpy even.  He said later he'd had a speech impediment as a child and occasionally would stumble on his words.  I do too, when I'm excited.  He's geeky and likes sci-fi.  I do, in small doses.  I'm a little bit anti-technology sometimes, anti-smart phone for sure!  He works a mangement job in shipping, seems to be good at it, but once upon a time he studied photography and theatre.  He does the occasional creative stuff it seems.  I got the impression there had been some failure in his life, some times when he was really broke, some complicated family dynamics.  Well, can't said I'm free from either of those, I just kept it to myself. 

Conversation was a bit awkward but we did ok.  I do this thing where I'm shy until someone is shyer than me, then I'm almost obnoxious and become what for me, is quite loud.  It's hard to explain.  I'll try to be amusing, or a bit motherly, or I'll be extra opininated, it's subtly different for every situation.  I did it a bit tonight I think.  We just had a bite to eat and a walk around a park.

He jogs.  That seems to be his major hobby.  My life is so filled with groups and hobbies and projects, so little of it being physical activity, that I didn't know what to say to this. 

He kept saying little hopeful things, like 'I'll need to remember that' when I said I liked something, or 'We need to save something [a topic we only touched on before it was time to part] for next time'

He said he had a good time and wanted to see me again.  I said sure, since he hadn't done anything wrong, but he really doesn't seem like my type  (whatever that is).
I don't know.  He was nice.  He just didn't impress me and he didn't seem to have the environmental concerns that are becoming so central to how I want to live my life.

This is perhaps more negative than warranted, I did agree to see him again after all.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on giving it a try, and being up for giving him a second try - first dates can be tough for everyone. It does sound like you're not all that into him so far but I guess there might be a chance that he grows on you. If not, it's still good to have found out, and good practice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he'll grow on you? Or maybe he'll become a friend anyhow :)
    I can't stand the stretched ear trend, creeps me right out, I try not to judge but it's hard when my skin is literally trying to crawl off my body......
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete