Friday 1 July 2011

Siblings

I'm the oldest of three; I have a sister and a brother.  My sister is married and has a seven week old baby boy.  My brother got his girlfriend pregnant and she is due in a month.  They said they weren't going to get married and three weeks ago they snuck off and had a civil ceremony.  (Family was not invited.)  I was more surprised than anything. 
My father also remarried a year and a half ago.  That means family dinners are comprised of three sets of newlyweds and me.  Newlyweds are always touching each other.
When my brother announced their pregnancy, my grandmother went a little bit into grandma-overdrive and actually opened a telephone conversation with 'Are there any more little secrets I should know?'  Yes, Grandma, my siblings are both reproducing so I decided to join the party and got myself knocked up. 
I don't know what's worse- when my family talks about me being pregnant one day, or how until baby fever set in, there was a conspicous silence on the topic of my love life, or even the possibility of such.
My family speaks affectionately of me as sort of an adult-child who will require supervision for the rest of my life.  It does wonders for my self-image.

No comments:

Post a Comment