Wednesday 6 July 2011

Un-touched

Since I have been sick for a week, I have been feeling a bit shunned by all.  Sick people are germy and should be avoided. 
(I am much better, but still coughing dramatically.)

I'm so tired.  I've been go-go-go all summer, doing a bunch of smaller gigs.  Today I am feeling that I am perhaps getting ripped off or giving more than I should.  I'm an artist, and if I get more than $20 bucks an hour I get excited, but that's really peanuts, considering I've been a working artist for 8 years (theoretically.)
I'm trying to work with this arts organization that has a noble mandate, but is really hard to work for.  Several people I know have been burned.  Had a long chat with someone who was telling me to protect myself and maybe even to back out of some teaching gigs I said I'd do for them....
Anyways, that's not the topic of this blog, but trying to make a living as an artist is tough.  Probably plays a big part in why other things aren't happening in my life as well.  So there, completely relevant.

But back to the point.  Touch.
I heard a few weeks ago, someone dropped an interesting little factoid into conversation: ideally you should be touched 30 times a day.  Of course I have no source to back this up.  Also I'm assuming she meant touched in a welcome, positive manner, not being groped or punched or anything. (Yes, quality of writing in this blog is held to high standards at eleven o'clock at night.)  And not necessarily touched in a sexual way- but  a handshake, a high fives, a pat on the back, a hug.  There are lots of people out there not making any kind of physical contact with other people for long stretches of time.  It's pretty sad.
Needless to say, this has been a particularly barren week for me.  *Cough Cough Sneeze*

When I'm walking by myself, sometimes my hand folds around an imaginary boyfriend's hand.
When I'm watching a movie, I wish I had my head on someone's shoulder.
I want more than anything to try 'spooning.'

It's a weird frustrating feeling.  Who knew a hand could crave another hand so desperately? There's not really a substitute for the touch of another person. 
(Although having a pet around is supposed to help I believe.)

No wonder they had to invent these:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-06/video-japanese-sense-roid-robot-torso-hugs-you-back

PS:  After watching the video, those are weirder than I thought they were going to be!

1 comment:

  1. God, if we should be touched at least 30 times a day, then I'm seriously behind...most days, nobody touches me at all...and I'm at a point where being touched (if someone accidentally bumps into me in passing, that is), makes me shrink away as thought I've been scalded.

    That's not healthy, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete