Saturday 13 August 2011

Just my luck...

Oh the perils of online dating...
Two days ago I received my first OK Cupid message and it was from someone I was interested in.  So I took a deep breath and wrote a little message. 
The next morning, two email notifications.  He had written at 11pm and again at 3am.  For some reason I didn't go read them right away.  Once I signed in I would feel obligated to answer since people can see when you've been online.  I had a very busy day and I meant to answer after dinner.  I never got around to it- we're dog-sitting and the new dog won't settle, my mother was always around, there was a big pile of dishes...Then I said to myself I don't want to look like I don't have a life on a Friday night, I won't answer today at all.  I worked on an art project instead.
This morning (Saturday) another email notification.  He had written again 9pm Friday night.  3 unanswered messages seemed a bit much to me, but until I read them I wasn't going to judge.  So I simply putting off reading them until just now.  My stomach has hurt all morning.  I was imagining him addicted to OK Cupid, spending hours on it every night, harassing girls.  My first message from him was so generic I suspected he was mass-messaging women.  Also you can see how much people are online and he always seemed to be.

I just read them and I don't know what to do.  They are super-enthusiastic- can I hold your hand, can I buy your art, can I smother you in kisses, are you having a good weekend, of course you are, you're beautiful and talented...

I told him he was scaring me.

I didn't block him.  I probably should... When I read his profile I was equally enthusiastic, a little smitten, only I didn't go shouting it from the hills.  It's the internet!  Caution is required.  It's so easy to make up this ideal person in your head, but you don't really know them at all. 
So I'm pretty disappointed that he's acting like this.   I had started to...hope. 
Does that technique really work on women? 
Too much for me.  Way tooo much. 

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment