Friday 12 April 2013

Struggling a wee bit

I'm home sick today.  It's been a weird week, as I've said.  Struggling a bit with the 'failure' word...reliving the bad interview, the bad date... just gotta keep looking forward.
I'll put in a few more job applications today.  Really starting to panic that I've never worked a full time job for more than a summer, don't have the administration experience and don't know how to get it...I'll be stuck working with kids for the rest of my life.

Car Guy still wants to meet, and I'm going along with it, but I think it's not going to work out.  Maybe I'll just say so.  I asked if he understood the extent of my eco-convictions.  He said he might not do as much as I do, but he understood the motivations behind it.  He said he modified cars to be more eco-friendly, and grew his own vegetables, and that he had actually read my profile and knew what he was getting into.  I softened a bit, and agreed to meet.  I said something about being sensitive about the 'weirdo factor' of being the person who refuses plastic straws.

He wrote back this big thing about how he's influencing people to drive smaller cars and he's got two of these rare hybrids...(two?  why does a single guy need two cars?  And it sounds like he has more than just two cars.)  He said he appreciated people trying to reduce their footprint but you had to reach the average mainstream person, and that's what he was trying to do.

Huh.  The more I think about it, the more I think I just got condescended to.
I wrote back, 'Well at least there will be an interesting debate'.  We're discussing a day to meet, but I want to back out.

Volunteer stuff is keeping me busy.  At least that's going well.  With that, and all the meet-ups, there's lot of options for things to do almost every day.  Just gotta get healthy enough to keep up!

Oh, and Big Hands the economist is two years younger than me. I found a newspaper interview about this project he's working on.  I'm supposed to go to a class he's teaching in two weeks, and we've already exchanged emails about me keeping up with the class because it's a part two and I missed part one.  I'm a little weirded out by how good a stalker I am, but it's a little something to look forward to.  I think it's cool how much he's done with this project, and I just want to meet him for inspiration.





No comments:

Post a Comment