Tuesday 2 April 2013

thinklings

I blog too much.  But I've just done a computer skills test for a potential job (and passed!) and now I'm destressing, ha!

A few opportunities, jobwise.  We'll see how it pans out.  I could end up pretty busy.  I am pretty busy even without working full-time.

Walrus has started texting me a bit.  Not sure how I feel about it.  It's just the usual mundane updates.

Health- Cough is full-on again, and a sore throat.  I'd better go back to the doctor.  And my allergic reaction to the antibiotics has relapsed, worse than before.  Spots all over my torso, even on my face a tiny bit.  Again, I'd better see the doctor.  Meanwhile, it's turtlenecks.

Appearance:  I've been thinking about this a lot.  Yes, I think putting more effort into my appearance will help me professionally and personally.  I wish the world wasn't so shallow, but it is, and I might as well try to play the game.  Seeing as I am advocating for people to live more sustainably, it will help my not-mainstream message get heard if I look like a stylish and professional woman.
I have some decent articles of clothing, if I work on getting some 'outfits' together with accessories (which I am clueless about).  I always wear those street sneaker/Sketchers type shoes, and I thought I could switch them out for ballet flats.  Yikes, one day in cheap flats did a number on my calf muscles.  Will have to invest in some good professional shoes with arch support!
I bought a scarf.  Green, with silver threads running through it. Now have to figure out how to tie it.
Also looking for a good blazer.  Still going to try to do most of my shopping at thrift stores, but will allow myself some special pieces.

Other projects:  Involved in some cool community/environmental volunteer projects, the joy of my life right now.

Previously I posted about seeing young families and feeling the Sad Yearnings..... It hasn't gone away, and I've thought about what is bothering me.  I think I need a role.  If you're in a family, you have a role in that family, you're a vital part of that group, and you're in it for the long-term.
I heard a definition of belonging the other day-- Belonging is when you're not there and your presence is missed.
I don't have a job, a circle of friends, a family of my own.  I don't have a role.  Something that I can do consistently, daily.  Something where I'm needed and important.  Someone to talk to everyday.

I think I'm working on finding my place, even without a partner.  Lots is going right.  And a job is just around the corner, right?

I am talking to someone on OKC, but I'm pretty neutral about it.  I will call him Car Guy, because in his first message he talked about hybrid cars.  His profile reveals nothing.  He hasn't answered any of the questions- don't know how tall he is, if he drinks or smokes, if he likes cats- nothing!  He just wrote a bunch of jokes.  He's obviously clever, but somehow doesn't seem all that nice.  I have no reason not to write back, but am not excited to meet him.  Not sure what to do.

Habits:  I've read that you should start with tiny, tiny steps.  If you want to start a flossing habit, start by flossing one tooth every day for a week.  Make it part of your daily schedule, so that it automatically happens after another action (brushing your teeth would be the logical choice).  I don't know how you ramp up to the full habit.  It seems a bit silly.
I haven't been able to focus on any goals- last week's goal turned into 'survive this gig you hate' and 'you're getting sick again, aren't you?'.
What seems to work for me is trading up--- stopping and looking at what I'm doing right now, or eating, and see if I can switch to something healthier or more productive.  I still keep track of what I've accomplished that day with Joe's Goals, and in general I'm moving in the right direction.
I still haven't tackled daily creativity.  I wonder if I can't face the solitude that is required to make art.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Eleanor, I think you can look stylish and professional while still conveying your message of sustainable living. If you can't find anything quality at thrift stores, try consignment stores. I live by a great one where I often find beautiful designer clothes at very low prices, like shirts, jeans and dresses for under fifteen American dollars. I get compliments on these items all the time. The key is to know what flatters you best, paying very close attention to fit (what compliments your body type) and even color (what brings out your eyes or your skin tone). Also, it's a myth that flats are comfortable...this is coming from someone with a history of foot issues. My podiatrist has told me it's good to wear shoes with 1-2 inch heel and a wide toe box. I personally favor wedges or boots with a rounded toe and chunky heel. It also depends of your foot type as well, but stay away from flats and flip flops unless they have arch support. Gosh, I can go on and on about fashion and footwear! But anyways, we unfortunately live in a world where appearances count (unless you are blind). I wish you all the best in your job hunt and am rooting for you in all aspects of your life.

    ReplyDelete