Tuesday 6 August 2013

Another flip-flop

So I saw that guy again last night.  He needs a nickname.  Ummmm....I can't think of one so it's 'he' all the way through this.  Sorry.
He wanted to cook me dinner and watch Doctor Who at his place.  I told him I was uncomfortable with that. I suggested a bike ride after dinner instead of watching the show.  He agreed, and said I needn't worry, he just wanted to cook for me and get to know me and maybe kiss me.  I said I felt like he'd be waiting for clues from me to see how much physical contact there was going to be, and there was no way I was going to relax the whole time...
(this was all by text.  sigh.)
Anyways, I went, and I took my bike.  I am learning to ride again, and it's been a month since I've been on it.  I had to take it on transit most of the way, and then I tried to ride the last few blocks to his house, and panicked because I'd never ridden on the street before.  Arrived completely sweaty and shaky.  Gave him a little kiss and tried to clean myself up in his bathroom.
He was making my favourite dish, and it was in the oven.  So we were awkward for a bit, and then ended up on the couch looking at pictures of the hike he'd recently done, and then... holding hands and leaning on each other and kissing a little.  It was so weird, because I kept looking around his apartment and seeing all his nerdboy stuff and not really feeling he was the person I'd pick for myself, and yet there was sweetness in the way he was touching me and goddamnit, I'm almost 32 and he's the second man I've kissed!  So I went along with things, not really sure of what I was doing.  Somebody wanted to cuddle me and my brain turned off a little.

Dinner was good, very filling.  Conversation was fairly light.  I was feeling too full to get on a bike, and it was still a warm evening, so we watched an episode of Doctor Who anyways, and I put my head on his shoulder. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen, but I can't say I didn't like it.
So then it was time for the bike ride, and he put air in my tires and adjusted my bike for me.  I was ridiculous, stopping all the time, wobbling, panicking....but he was so supportive and gentle.  I had sorta planned that bike riding would put me at a disadvantage and he wouldn't have to be so nervous.  Well it worked.  I made a fool of myself and he shone.   And it was a hot summer's night and everybody was out walking and biking and they cheered me on too...  We biked for about an hour.  I was again a sweaty shaky mess, but proud of myself.

And there was kissing all along the way, and then we went back to his apartment for a Tardis cake (we are such nerds!) he'd made me, but my poor body couldn't handle it after the bike ride so we just cuddled.  At that point brain and body had had more than they could take, and had decided to switch completely off.  I was feeling pretty comfortable.  And then finally there was real conversation, although I can't remember how it started. I said he didn't seem to like himself on the last date.   He said he had a complicated relationship with himself and struggled with depression a bit but he knew how to get himself out of it now, and that he'd gone to a psychiatrist for four years until he/she moved away.   And I told him I'd been to counselling for a bit as well.  And we talked about my environmental beliefs and he said he worried he wasn't what I wanted but he was willing to try and he thought it would be good for him.  I said something about being overwhelmed with everything that was going on, moving out and suchlike,  and he said we'd just take it slow and if he wasn't the guy for me, so be it.
At this point we'd been together for more than 5 hours and I was so tired, it felt like I was dreaming.  I hope what I remember is what was really said.

In short, he was completely sweet the whole time, it felt wonderful to be held, there was a sort of chasteness about the kisses, although we did sort of try real kisses, they didn't seem to work. I'm completely thrown off by the lip ring.  I'm still worried he could turn out to be needy or that he won't live up to my high expectations, but by the end of the evening I was more than willing to see him again.
How weird this is.  How weird is my whole life.

3 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwww :)) Sounds like you had a cute evening. The last guy I mentioned Dr who to said, fittingly I guess, "who?" *sigh* Sounds like you've decided to give it a try, I'm here for cheerleading if needed :)
    Life is weird, but at least your's is weird and exciting and you're growing as a person all the time! It's probably scary too but at least your brave enough to try :)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. He seems really sweet. Maybe that's what you need for now: a gentle and attentive person. This must be so confusing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good third date! I liked your "I had sorta planned that bike riding would put me at a disadvantage and he wouldn't have to be so nervous" idea - clever stuff! It sounds like you're very much in the territory of "not sure where this is going but interested in continuing for now" which is often a part of dating. I imagine once upon a time it seemed like dating meant you would have to decide straight away whether you wanted to be with someone forever or not - I probably used to think that too - but in reality we can only really know whether we want to try another little bit.

    ReplyDelete